Wednesday 31 August 2016

Honeymoon Phase

My first post as a married man. As funny as it sounds - I suppose I could also say as a married Zebra. Whichever you prefer - my "Saving For The Wedding" phase has officially ended and I am left with some wonderful, life-changing memories. Exchanging vows with my current wife Henriika and celebrating our wedding in the heart of Europe, Prague, has been a really special holiday... And yes - I left "my zebra head" at home - even though it would probably look very amusing with my blue wedding tuxedo... Moving on! I am now back to Brighton and finally got my wire fixed; equipped with a new, freshly printed sign "Saving For Honeymoon" and new life ambitions I am ready to get back to business. 


Fortunate enough, the weather in Brighton has been very generous with lots of sunshine and little wind since we came back from Prague. Every day I was getting a little temptation to go out and busk, but since I hadn't fixed my wire, there was no way I could possibly do it without it. I went to Maplin's to get a replacement and they didn't have a particular peace in store, so they ordered one via post. While I was waiting, I made a new busking sign using the same design with few changes and got it printed by the time the wire arrived. Well equipped I was finally ready to dive into the world of "black and white" once again after a decent break. 

I didn't want to do a whole lot today, just few hours in the morning was good enough for me. I came down to gardens around 10am and took my time to set up with no rush. It felt nice to be out again: fresh air, sound of seagulls and people walking past in a relaxed manner. Much better than sitting in a flat and waiting for a gig to come through, especially in such a nice day.

I began playing a little worried I forgot some tunes, but it all came back to me pretty quick. I made few additions to my repertoire; usually it takes time for me to memorize the new peaces as I can't read sheet music in the mask. The best addition has been Wagner's Bridal March. I got few extra tips for that and one lady said it's hers 40st wedding anniversary today. I suppose many people are having wedding anniversaries around this time - this was a good choice.

Dave came around to congratulate me with the wedding. He was happy to see me and gave me a £5 note for the honeymoon. He also bought me a a new jack lead from Maplin's worth £12.99. Honestly - he gives me too many gifts and tips. I am now trying to pay him back in the same way, I even bought him a new phone. However it only made him buy me even more gifts and I don't see the end to it. I'll have to think harder on this one...

Some old lady took my business card while I was playing and asked me "if I am affordable". I said I believe I am. She then asked me some booking information - seems like I might get a gig at some point.

Speaking about bookings - I actually did my first "Zebra wedding gig" on Sunday. It was a lovely South African couple, they said there are many Zebras out there and they wanted to add some authenticity to their wedding reception. The wedding was based in Wagner Hall, very close to where I live and I had to play in the garden. There were many people and about 6 kids. Everyone very much enjoyed my playing and I got some very nice feedback from the guests. I actually have few more weddings lined up in September and I am very happy for that. It's a great experience for me as a pianist. 

Not much to add about today - it was a good warm-up for tomorrow. It's going to be a very sunny day all day and I have nothing else planed, but busking. Got to make the most out of it while summer is still here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment