Tuesday 26 July 2016

Pokemon Hunters, Graduates and Kids

The week has began very good with a nice, sunny weather. Not many buskers around on weekdays which makes my job very relaxed - less moving around. On Monday I started busking at 10:30am as usual, today I came out at 11:30am and Pavilion Gardens were still available. If it was weekend, I'm sure someone else would be already there playing...

From yesterday I started using a new sign. I made it up from the cardboard I picked up at the recycling bin. I am getting married in 1 month and thought it might be a good idea to make a sign: "Saving For Wedding". I thought it might help a little bit as I depend on the busking income quite a lot now. And it also makes it a little bit more personal. 

On the other hand I really wanted to make a funny sign I came up with few days ago: "Rarest Pokemon Ever Seen". I thought it's really funny as "Pokemon Go" is a very big thing right now. Lots of people go to parks and play this game. I assumed Pavilion Gardens is not an exception for the local Pokemon hunters. 

So what I did - I wrote the Pokemon sign on the back of Wedding sign and occasionally kept turning the sign around. I can't say for sure if the both signs made a big impact on my earnings, but it gave people something to talk about. Whenever I used Wedding sign people were throwing the coins in and saying "here is some for your wedding" or "give him something, he's getting married!" And whenever I used Pokemon sign people kept reading it loud to each other and laughing. Many people took photo of the sign and I could tell some boys were playing Pokemon Go and found the sign very funny. 

Both today and yesterday there were graduation ceremonies taking place at Brighton Dome. Graduates often come to the garden to take the pictures afterwards. Last year when I was busking around this time I got in the local news. Don't know how is it going to be this time, but some graduates did ask me if they could take a picture with me. Someone asked me "if I graduated myself today", that made me think I should have got a graduate hat for myself - would have been really funny...

On Monday my sister came to see me with her parents in law. They are from India and it was a real pleasure to play for them. They are visiting UK for the first time and I'm glad they were out in the garden on such a beautiful, sunny day. They told me afterwards it was very funny to watch me play and they were delighted of how many people were enjoying it too. My sister is into photography and she took some really nice pictures of us together. I promised I'll post one on my blog.

What really stuck in my mind after these few days were kids! Honestly, kids bring so much joy to my busking I can't get enough. There was a little girl today, she was so amazed by me she was standing and watching me for a very long time. When parents took her away she began to cry... Bless her! Another little girl was left in a pushchair very close to me while her mom taking a picture. She was so excited and was reaching her little hand out for me wanting to touch me. I reached my hand back and her mom took a really nice picture of her holding one of my fingers in her tiny fist... At some point there were so many kids around my piano, I began playing "If You Happy And You Know It". All of them were laughing and lively clapping along. Later on there was a kid with a "Happy Birthday" ballon attached to his pushchair - that was a perfect time to play "Happy Birthday" song! Another tune I often play for kids is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and after I hit the last chord I often point to the sky as if there was a star... The girl in the picture stood out from all of the kids today by running back and forward to me with the phone. At first I thought she wants to take a picture of me, but then I realised she wants me to take a picture of her. She was so happy she ran back to her mom holding the phone high up and laughing. 

Both days I played without stops for more than 3h. Somehow when I play I don't really feel any hunger or tiredness. It's after I finish playing when it suddenly hits me. Perhaps I a little bit over-did-it today. I was just waiting for someone to come along and replace me, but there was no one around...

After all when I went to the bank with all the coins, I knew it was worth it. The bag was so heavy I was afraid it will break... I believe busking is very rewarding both mentally and financially. In the end of the day I feel accomplished and I feel I have lived. As Abraham Lincoln once said: "It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

No comments:

Post a Comment